Distimo and MEF Publish European App Store Market Report
Exclusive Report for MEF Members Reveals Insights into App Store Market in France, Germany, Italy, Poland, Russia, Spain & United Kingdom
24 March 2011, London UK / Utrecht The Netherlands
Distimo, a globally recognized leader in app store analytics, and Mobile Entertainment Forum (MEF), the global trade body of the mobile content and commerce industry, today announced the publication of a new report on the European app store market in France, Germany, Italy, Poland, Russia, Spain and the United Kingdom. The information included in the report is aggregated across all of these countries, and covers the Apple App Store for iPhone, Apple App Store for iPad, BlackBerry App World (worldwide), Google Android Market, Nokia Ovi Store, Palm App Catalog, and Windows Phone 7 Marketplace during January 2011.
The major findings of the report are:
- The average price of top applications in the most expensive stores is lower than the average price of all applications. In the stores where applications are cheaper on average, the reverse is true: the most popular applications have a higher average price than the average price of all applications.
- The most used pricing tier for all app stores is under US$2.00 except for BlackBerry App World, where the most used pricing tier is between US$2.00 and US$2.99.
- In-app purchases have become an important way of monetizing applications in the Apple App Store for iPhone. 29% of the revenue of the most successful applications in the United Kingdom is generated solely by free applications that monetize using in-app purchases.
- At least one-third of all downloads of the 300 most popular applications in the selected countries is from the United Kingdom on both the iPad and iPhone.
- Significantly more applications are downloaded on Saturdays and Sundays than on weekdays. The difference between weekdays and weekends on the iPad is larger than on the iPhone.
“Distimo’s report on the European apps store market offers MEF members an insightful snapshot of app stores across Europe,” said Rimma Perelmuter, MEF Executive Director. “Our partnership offers a great platform to share Distimo's unique analytics with MEF members who in turn receive strong membership value though exclusive market insight.”
“Distimo provides in-depth app store analytics insight and MEF has a strong focus on app store content which equates to a strong partnership,” stated Vincent Hoogsteder, CEO and co-founder of Distimo. “We are pleased to share our insight into the European app store market and to once again partner with Mobile Entertainment Forum.”
The full report is available for download exclusively to all MEF members.
Distimo is the innovative app store analytics company built to solve the challenges created by a widely fragmented app store marketplace filled with equally fragmented information and statistics. Distimo Report provides in-depth customized reports for carriers and operators and offers valuable insight into important trends happening within different application stores around the world. Custom reports are currently available for the Apple App Store, Blackberry App World, Google Android Market, Nokia Ovi Store, Palm App Catalog and Windows Phone 7 Marketplace. Distimo Monitor is a free, cross-platform, app monitoring tool for developers that enables them to monitor their own and competitive applications across all app stores, without any adjustments needed to their application’s code. Distimo is a privately held company based in Utrecht, The Netherlands. Learn more: www.distimo.com